Search This Blog

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Holiday Cheer

Ed got the wreaths hung and the candles placed in the windows, and hooked up the spotlights out front, which I love.  I made bows from red wired ribbon for our topiaries that flank our entry and I filled the bottom of the pots with ornaments, and made a bow for the live wreath on the front door.  I love the simplicity and cheer.
I nearly froze to death last Tuesday evening when I went outside to cut fresh greenery from our Leland cypress trees and holly bushes.  We also grow a red-twigged dogwood shrub, and I love using cuttings of its branches for color in my fresh Christmas arrangements.  I prefer using fresh greens, fruits, cranberries, and twigs for decorating, although they may have to be replaced a couple of times in the season.  I might fill a large glass vase with cranberries and fruit, then place a candle in the berries, or use a footed glass vase, filled with water and add cranberries and red twigs. I like to place similar designs together for a larger impact, especially on our kitchen island.  Tangerines, pears, and berries with greenery can be tucked just about any place you like; on shelves, tabletops, counter tops, window sills, and even on sinks in powder rooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment