Search This Blog

Monday, November 8, 2010

My best friend, Phyllis

All I can say about Phyllis is she is amazing.  We've been besties for 29 years now.  During those early years, we helped each other through bad marriages and dark times, but we also had our babies around the same time and enjoyed raising them together.  We relied heavily on each other as those bad marriages ended and we moved down other roads in our lives.  Our close friendship has endured even though, at times, we've been separated by many miles and states.

Six or so years ago I introduced her to my widowed neighbor, and they wound up getting married and making a very happy life for themselves.  Fortunately for me, she moved to Virginia and now she's my daughter's boss.  She is just the funniest, most clever and talented person I've ever met and when I grow up, I want to be just like her.  She is the best cook and hostess, and she can take a pile of junk and turn it into something gorgeous.  Her home is beautiful and she puts her talented touch on everything.  Just weeks after moving into their new home, her house looked like this:

I just want to curl up on the sofa and relax in her house.  It's always spotless, and it's always warm and cozy.  I love it.
So Phyllis decided to cook dinner for us and it was, as usual, fantastic.  Her table, as always, was perfection:
 A five star restaurant could not offer better ambiance, or food.  Our first course was a Fig and Goat Cheese Appetizer, which I didn't photograph because I was too busy eating it.  It will be a dish I plan to serve at Thanksgiving.  The second was a soup, Toasted Guajillo and Pork Posole, which was equally delicious topped with shredded cabbage and fresh radishes and served with Asiago Cheese bread.

The main dish was Char Siu Pork Roast with pan drippings served over brown rice and Roasted Vegetables with Walnut Pesto.  Everything was just incredibly delicious.
All this was finished with a dish of Sweet Sticky Rice and Mango.
I had to waddle out the front door home.  Thank you, Phyllis, for another wonderful evening and for experimenting on us again!  It's my turn, and I promise we won't be serving meatballs from the grill and potato chips this time. 
 

1 comment:

  1. awww, thank you for all the kind words about how awesome I am. . . I'll pay you later. I enjoyed spending the evening with my best friend, her husband, daughter and grandson. I am glad you enjoyed the meal. I love to cook for people who appreciate and enjoy it. oh yeah . . . and thanks for introducing me to Skip!!!!!

    ReplyDelete