Search This Blog

Sunday, November 7, 2010

The last of Autumn

Ed and I have had such a wonderful weekend, which included a walk in Old Town Winchester neighborhoods on Saturday morning to enjoy the last of the autumn foliage.  I know I've said this many times before, but autumn is my favorite season.  I love the colors and the golden hues of the sunlight, the long shadows and chilly air, wearing sweaters and fleece lined boots, settling in on early evenings with a good book and a fire going, and always the fragrance of something cooking or richly scented candles filling our house.  It's the cozy season, when your soul is called to the warmth and comfort of home.  I feel some primal urge to bake spicy breads and cakes, pumpkin pies, and foods like chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, biscuits, and gravy, or long cooking pot roasts with red wine, potatoes, carrots and winter vegetables.  There's just more time for everything when the days are short and the evenings long.

No comments:

Post a Comment