Search This Blog

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Making Slipcovers

I've been afraid of sewing machines my whole life.  In eighth grade I did manage to make a dress, and I was pretty proud of that thing.  About 12 years ago I bought a sewing machine to make a dust ruffle for our very high bed because it had to be custom made.  I remembered how to make a ruffle, so I ruffled the fabric I bought and sewed it to a queen sized sheet I had cut to the size of the boxspring.  It actually turned out very well and we used it until recently, when I decided I no longer wanted a dust ruffle.

What I've really wanted to learn is how to sew is anything that has to do with home decorating.  I'm a person who likes visual change, and since I can't really sew, that can be limiting.  Who can afford new furniture every few years?  In an earlier post (scroll down a few sections), I showed how I used my new sewing skills to reupholster our bedroom slipper chairs and an ottoman.  I used drop cloths and they look fantastic.  I could not be happier with them.

I wanted to learn, though, how to make a real slipcover.  I watched all the tutorials given by Miss Mustard Seed at Mustard Seed Interiors here.  I really like how laid-back she is and how she just cuts that fabric like she doesn't have a care in the world.  She made me feel like I could really do this project.

So this past week my goal has been to cover this red velvet chair I bought at Target years ago when red was my color of choice:
As you can see, red doesn't fit into the color scheme of our new library.  This chair has pretty simple, clean lines and I didn't want cording and ruffles.  I wanted to keep it simple.

I bought real fabric this time.  I wanted white, so I went to good ole' WalMart and found some white fabric suitable for upholstery for about $5 a yard.  Ed washed and dried it for me, and it became softer and far more workable.  I loved the slightly wrinkled look too - sort of shabby chic.

I set about pinning and cutting, and I think I should admit this was not an easy project.  I made a lot of mistakes.  I only had to rip one seam out and re-do it, but I can't say that my seams are straight and lovely.  All in all though, it turned out pretty much how I wanted it to and I love it in the room.  Best thing is, if it gets dirty we just throw it in the wash!



Detail of Slipcover
I'm not as happy with the bottom as I could be and considered (for a moment) adding a pleated skirt.  But I'm not that unhappy, and I'm tired, so maybe I'll just iron it so it lays flat.

This was definitely a learning curve for me and I wish I'd watched the tutorials mentioned above before I bought the fabric because I would have used a $20 dropcloth instead of the fabric I chose.  But all in all, I am very happy with the project.

I used about 7 yards of fabric, so the project total was about $35.  Beats the $500 I would have spent on a white chair, for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment